Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: publications concerning port forwarding

From: "Wiedemann, Adrian" <Adrian.Wiedemann () rz uni-karlsruhe de>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:50:43 +0200

Hi,

  My concern would be a 0-day exploit for the service that is exposed.> An
internal MS Exchange server responding to public internet traffic,
seems
less secure than say... a postfix server in the DMZ and a MS Exchange
server on the internal network.at least in this situation you would
need
two services to be exploitable (Postfix SMTP and MS Exchange) rather
than
just MS Exchange.

Ok, two things. First, Preventing against a 0day is always hard - regardless
of the system. Second, what do you define as internal? Is the MS Exchange is
only used internally  (no RPC-over-HTTPS, no OWA, etc.), then a port forward
is not necessary. If not, the MS Exchange is not internal, and some more
work has to be done than just using an exim as a SMTP proxy and forwarding
the ports.

If there is only a single MS Exchange Server used, then - I have to agree -
exposing this server (holding the mailbox-storage) to the internet is nuts.
But If this is the scenario, major faults happened when the MS Exchange
infrastructure was planned.

  Is this an over paranoid stance?  What if the company falls under
"Executive Order on Critical Infrastructure Protection"?

The risk hast to be evaluated - and proper arrangements have to be done.
Just having the ports forwarded without an essential reason is not an
option.

Regards, Adrian

ret