Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: publications concerning port forwarding

From: "Wiedemann, Adrian" <Adrian.Wiedemann () rz uni-karlsruhe de>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:52:43 +0200

Hi,

to forward ports on the PIX from the Internet to internal servers.  I
have
explained that port forwarding is very risky but they don't seem to
understand.  Are there any publications that can be used to show the

It boils down to the Exchange-Server setup. If he is using a
frontend-backend Exchange configuration and requests port 443 to be
forwarded, I see no inherent security concerns about this. In general, I see
no security implications about forwarding ports. I just depends on the
servers, on which these ports are forwarded to.

Regards, Adrian

Ret