Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: tools to scan source code

From: Kish Pent <kish_pent () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:08:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Wahyu,

I think a doctor should do surgery because he knows
how to do it, same way an application's source code
should be reviewed by penetration-test team to comply
with some methodology like owasp, not by the developer
because they learn to build software and pen-testers
know how to break software.

Second point is RATS - Rough Auditing tool for
Security by Secure Software
(http://www.securesw.com/rats) can audit PHP code too
(but it's not dependable it just analyzes source code
roughly)

Stefano :), you must see Security Forest's page which
says RATS can audit C,C++,Perl,PHP & Python source
code.(http://www.securityforest.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Source_Code_Scanners)

I haven't tried SWAAT from Security compass though,
it's safe to bet on pen-test,because automated tools
don't substitute humans anytime of the day.

Cheers :)

--- Stefano Zanero <zanero () elet polimi it> wrote:

Ric Messier wrote:

PHP is fairly C-like. If you know C, it's pretty
easy to read PHP. However,
try RATS.
http://www.securesoftware.com/download_rats.htm

Are you suggesting that RATS (a source code scanner
for C) would be able
to detect security vulnerabilities in PHP ?

That's a challenging proposition :)

As far as I know, very little exist in the area of
"source code
auditing" for web application. Developing one is not
easy (it's one of
our research tasks at the moment)

From what I've seen, the SWAAT tool mentioned
elsewhere is little more
than what you can obtain through grep...

Best,
Stefano

Ric Messier wrote:

PHP is fairly C-like. If you know C, it's pretty
easy to read PHP. However,
try RATS.
http://www.securesoftware.com/download_rats.htm

Are you suggesting that RATS (a source code scanner
for C) would be able
to detect security vulnerabilities in PHP ?

That's a challenging proposition :)

As far as I know, very little exist in the area of
"source code
auditing" for web application. Developing one is not
easy (it's one of
our research tasks at the moment)

From what I've seen, the SWAAT tool mentioned