Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: l0phtcrack

From: "Steve Armstrong" <stevearmstrong () logicallysecure com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:53:40 -0000

Yes, but that’s not a bad thing.  The presence of LC5 or VNC on a pen
testers laptop is different to a home users pc.

The AV and Aspam products are aimed at the home and corporate users with
any fringe markets being a bonus.

So it is understandable that they classify these tools as being bad as
for most users they are.

If you put them there yourself and understand what they do, then you are
probably better placed to understand what your AV and ASP am tools are
telling you.

Just be sure you don’t let them aide scan and 'fix' or 'clean up'
problems when they want, I lost over 75 exploits and good example
viruses to that one <sob>.

Plus AV and Aspam tools are funny beasts to have on pen testers laptops,
yes you want to be free so you trust your own tools and don’t want to
infect the client; but I don’t like having them on my systems as they
can interfere with tools and results - plus they generally hog cpu
power.

Steve A