Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Social Engineering Data set

From: qxlr () twmi rr com
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:56:08 -0400

Today's "Social Engineers" operate in much the same way as their
predecessors,
those ne’er-do-wells referred to in times past as grifters or
confidence men.
They always have a clear cut objective, manipulation of other
individuals and
circumstances is the means by which they meet it, and thanks to the
facelessness of 21st century communications, exposure of a high value
target,
a rarity in the past, is now a commodity from a virtually
inexhaustible
supply.

I rely a great deal on intuition, both personal and professional
experience, (I was a paralegal (torts) for ten years; married to an
criminal
defense attorney) and the general hinkiness factor of someone or
something.
I sort of use my own psychological profile, which is in no way
scientifically
sanctioned, but utilizes recognized behavioral patterns.

xun dong wrote:

I think what you said is correct, that's why I decide to research
social
engineering properly. It is no doubt that Phishing and pharming
should
belong to the family of social engineering attacks.

The most important thing for this data set is that: completeness
(covers as wide range as possible). I feel that I must missed some
thing
and if more people contribute to it the more complete the data set
will
be. Thanks for all people gave me suggestions, I have so far got
32
different social engineering attacks. I am now process it and then
will publish them on Internet for the community to use. I will try
get it done ASAP.

Robinson, Sonja wrote:

Many attacks are of the social engineering type. In fact the
most
notable are or have obtained much of their information by those
techniques- mitnick, poulsen etc.

When doing audits and security reviews, I employ social
engineering to
see what people 'fess up. It is truly amazing.

I would look at your search criteria. It is easier to have
people
give the keys then steal them yourself. Technically phishing is
social engineering. It is a manipulation of a user or other
party to
"give up" pertinent information so that you can gain access. So
there
is plenty of info.