Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Determining the encryption used

From: "Bob Bell (rtbell)" <rtbell () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:10:28 -0700

John -

If what you are describing is an encrypted field within the database, I
am not sure that there is anything you can do to determining what the
algorithm is. If it is good encryption, the data should be random bits.
If you know the encryption key, then you could try a number of the
common algorithms to see if they yield valid data. Otherwise, you are
going to have to try both the algorithm and the keys, (a very very
difficult task with normal algorithms). You might have to resort to pure
cryptographic analysis techneques to solve this issue.

Bob