Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: bypassing employer's proxy to surf anonymously

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:38:05 +1000

The choice is yours if you want to leave. The choice to bypass controls is not yours. If you do this (bypass the
proxy), you risk both criminal and civil penalties and dismissal. This is just the start.

Why are we talking about controls when all some people wish to do is bypass them?

Make a business case to access sites that are blocked. Or is it that the sites have nothing to do with your job? I see
this all the time. I need to access sites that are not allowed, but when the analysis comes in the sites being accessed
include porn, employment sites, Warez etc etc.

So please tell me what is so crucial that you need to access in at least the violation of the corporate policy if not
the law? If it is so crucial than the business should be able to setup a host outside the network that does not matter.
Business risk and cost v business justification.

Bypassing the proxy will also bypass anti-virus, anti-trojan etc processes.

Regards,
Craig