Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Hacker Stories, Certs, vs Projects - Was Re: Technitium MAC Address Changer v3.1 (FREEWARE)

From: Shahin Ansari <zohal52 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 06:38:34 -0700 (PDT)

I respectfully disagree with your view.  Presenting a
paper is very nice, but it represents a person's
knowledge in a narrow area, which is usually not very
helpful in work environment. If you are hiring manager
for a noc, you don't need someone who can speak on
let's say PKI for 1/2 hour.  You need someone is has a
broad knowledge of routing, and knows commands for the
paltform your network uses, and as such I think
Certification is good.  I agree that it has become a
way to make money and I don't appreciate that.  I like
to have a very imprtial view of vendors, but I think
Cisco does an excellent job of documenting what
someone needs to know to be effective in market.
Further, I think ppl who pass an exam ( not cheating )
but pass it without hands on, definately deserve a
shot at a position.  Although they may struggle, I
think passing an exam which you do not have equipment
for shows character.

Sean

--- "Graves, Jamie" <j.graves () napier ac uk> wrote:

Hello,

Funny that this should come up; Bruce Schneier
covers this to a certain
degree in the following article:

http://informationsecurity.techtarget.com/magLogin/1,291245,sid42_gci119
6098,00.html