Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: DoS problem.

From: Matthew Baker <m () wheres co uk>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:16:45 +0000

Hi Jorge,

Looks like a SYN flood attack to me. If you are using linux on the servers then use syncookies[1] to stop this. They are not enabled by default because strictly speaking they are not rfc compliant.

To do this edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add this line:

net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies=1

Then apply the changes by running:

$ sysctl -p

[1] http://cr.yp.to/syncookies.html

Cheers,

Matt

Jorge Alfredo Garcia wrote:
I have two dedicated servers, both hosted by the same provider and
both on the same segmnet.
I am under a denial of services attack but idont know exactaly how to stop it.
Here is a piece of my netstat output:

tcp 0 1 XX.XX.XX.AA:47561 XX.XX.XX.BB:80 SYN_SENT tcp 0 1 XX.XX.XX.AA:47562 XX.XX.XX.BB:80 SYN_SENT tcp 0 1 XX.XX.XX.AA:47565 XX.XX.XX.BB:80 SYN_SENT tcp 0 1 XX.XX.XX.AA:47564 XX.XX.XX.BB:80 SYN_SENT tcp 0 1 XX.XX.XX.AA:47567 XX.XX.XX.BB:80 SYN_SENT

Ok, XX.XX.XX.AA is the server i am in now.
XX.XX.XX.BB is mine two and here are the connections:

tcp 0 0 XX.XX.XX.BB:80 XX.XX.XX.AA:50749 SYN_RECV tcp 0 0 XX.XX.XX.BB:80 XX.XX.XX.AA:50598 SYN_RECV tcp 0 0 XX.XX.XX.BB:80 XX.XX.XX.AA:50309 SYN_RECV

I have thousands of this connections on both servers.
I make iptables rules in both sites but the attack still running and
the rules dont work.

I cant understand how this attack can be made taking into account that
the attacker isnt inside any of my servers.
Why iptables rules dont work against this?

Thanx in advance.

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831