Penetration Testing mailing list archives

2 in 1: Vmware Limitations / Null Sessions

From: pascal.cretain () gmail com
Date: 9 Feb 2006 14:24:50 -0000

Hi,
I've got two questions for the list.I'll post them both here if Erin doesn't mind:)

1)Vmware-related: When running an image of an OS on windows XP SP2, does it suffer from the limitations of the Host OS?
I.e - Am I anonymous when running Anonym.OS's image on VMWare on Win XP SP2? - Do I have raw sockets problems when
scanning off a Linux image again on VMWare Win XP?

2)Null Sessions-related: Bit of history for those of you unfamiliar. Null sessions have been enabled by default in
pre-XP SP1 systems; to disable you have to make a small registry change. In XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 they are
disabled by default, with the EXCEPTION of domain controllers.The real question is:
- Would disabling null sessions in a domain controller cause functionality problems?
- If it doesn’t cause problems, how do I disable them?Is it the same ol' 'RestrictAnonymous==1'??

Many many thanks,
Pascal

PS)

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831