Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: "Digital" War Dialing

From: "David M. Zendzian" <dmz () dmzs com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:25:17 -0500

By digital do you mean like an office PBX digital or VOIP digital? If
you mean VOIP your going to run into a little problem in that the
digitizing of the analog->digital modulation the modem does to go over a
VOIP line will introduce errors that will cause your modem to not be
able to properly connect.

Tools like iwar work by using voip a speaker & your ability to say "hey,
that's a modem!" :)

If you want to automate it you'll need a better quality line. From the
research I did, the best way to use VOIP with wardialing is to get a
POTS line attached to your central PBX and use that line for
inbound/outbound communications. If you only have 1 VOIP connection then
a regular line your modem will work better. You'll still have to tune it
way down to be able to sync properly as your VOIP will still introduce
errors that the modem can't handle well.

I also recently saw a posting that a VOIP provider is finally getting
service that supports standard FAX machines. I haven't been able to
confirm this but if it's true then modems should also work a little
better with whatever they have.

Good luck!
David

09sparky () gmail com wrote:
I am currently looking/wondering if there is a tool free/commercial that works comparatively to SandStorm’s "Phone
Sweep".  However, I would like the tool to be able to work over Digital lines as opposed to just Analog lines (as
digital may be faster and perhaps offer more options).  Does anyone know if any tools exist?

Thanks,
Sparky