Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Let's exploit this

From: "Serg B." <sergicles () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 14:17:56 +1000

You could just try inputing hexidecimal encoded strings. Chances are
they would get converted to "real" strings on the way out - hello XSS.

On 03/08/06, James Harless <jharless () kidwellcompanies com> wrote:
Hmm...

Knowing that all apostrophes are escaped with backlsashes...and that is the
only character checked for...my first instinct is to put a backslash before
the apostrophe.ie 'Nancy\'s' as the input.

So, then the function would add another escape character, correct?  Then you
would essentially escape the backslash and leave the apostrophe intact,
right?  Or..am I off base here?

I'm picturing the final function looking like:

MyFunc('Nancy\\'s','hamster');

It seems like that could be put to evil use.

James