Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Nortel Contivity 2600

From: Volker Tanger <vtlists () wyae de>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 23:27:46 +0200

Greetings!

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 14:39:44 +0400
Samir Pawaskar <samirp () eim ae> wrote:

I am facing a similar position, however my vendor insists that Nortel
VPN has to be in Internet .. It cannot use natted IP..

Well, the Contivity can work in NATted configuration - like all other
IPSec-encapsulating devices, too. But usually this will work with tunnel
mode only - NAT is inherently incompatible with IPSec transport mode.
And of course it will work with *out*going connections only. So for the
scenario given (*in*coming office and road warrior access) this is not a
good idea.

By the way, bear in mind Contivity also has a firewall module that can
run on its same platform, this could be very reccomendable if you are
to place it directly on the Internet.

"Standard" is a only a stateless packet filter. But the add-on firewall
license is a stateful packet filter, not too shabby. Big plus is that
you can define individual FW rules for (within) each tunnel - especially
to restrict access by contractors and third party support personel.