Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: hopfake question.

From: Murali Raju <protocoljunkie () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:34:33 -0400

Doesn't windows uses ICMP for traceroute (tracert)?

On 9/17/05, Paul Robertson <compuwar () gmail com> wrote:
On 9/16/05, Jorge Alfredo Garcia <frederix () gmail com> wrote:
im trying hopkake by xenion to do some testings about traceroute.
Im having some problem testing the code from different locations for
example a traceroute from my own country against an ip on my conutry
works fine:

C:\>tracert 200.125.36.216

[snip]

[root@ns20303 dark]# traceroute 200.125.34.234

As you can see the fake hops not appear in the attackers host.
I tested a lot and in the majority of the case its seems it doesnt works.
Please, i want to know why this problem and if it is there a
posibility to fix it.

You're using two different commands from two different operating
systems.  Linux/Unix uses UDP for traceroute, Windows uses TCP for
tracert.  If you used tcptraceroute, you'd see the same results, since
you'd be doing the same thing.

The fix is to extend the software to fake UDP as well.

Paul
--
www.compuwar.net

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831

--
May the packets be with you.