Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: database server audit tools

From: Christian Martorella <laramies2k () yahoo com ar>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:47:57 +0200

Hi all, i would like to inform that we are forking the Metacoretex project, to create an updated and improved version. We started a week ago, and we are working on the first version. The project name is Metacoretex-NG, and the objetive is to create an updated open source vulnerability and assessment framework for databases:

Some of the areas we are working:

-Updated plugin collection
-Html export of reports
-Improved Interface
-Pen test mode
-More databases (db2,postgresql)
-Automatic host discovery
-Better documentation

Everyone who wants to join us, is welcome!

Contact us:   laramies2k () yahoo com ar
                       vdiaz () edge-security com
                       mllovet () edge-security com

Soon in:  http://metacoretex-ng.sourceforge.net

Christian Martorella

Evans, Arian wrote:

Hello Paavan, suggestions and comments inline to Mr. Martin's email:

***Commercial***

-Appsecinc's AppDetective for (insert DB), has a "pen test mode", sort of a brute-force, table-reader
type thing; lots of config options here

-NGS Squirrel for (insert DB), mostly a vuln scanner, very fast, cost effective

-Both Impact and CANVAS have DB exploits, though their focus is not DB auditing.

ISS's DB scanner is dead.

***Open-Source/Freeware***

Metacoretex looked like it had promise, but both plug-in and framework development appears dead now:
http://www.metacoretex.com

Metasploit and the Securityforest Exploittree both have DB exploit code. Metasploit gives you control
over payload, but does not have many DB exploits.

Pete Finnigan also keeps a nice list of tools, though many are gone/dead/no longer in active dev:

http://www.petefinnigan.com/tools.htm

***Books***

The Database Hacker's Handbook is another good resource.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764578014/qid=1126556735/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-613477
4-4798546?v=glance&s=books&n=507846