Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: [lists] root kit detection/penetration

From: "Curt Purdy" <bess () inu net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:14:16 -0400

cdewitt () indepthsec com
What are the best practices for penetration testing the
viability of placing root kits on a client's external servers
- vpn, web, app...?

And, while I'm asking - what are the best practices or
countermeasures for root kit placement?

What root kits are still viable/current?

You can use metasploit to test if a machine has a vulnerability that allows
uploading and executing a prog.  If so you can upload and install a rootkit
like fu (rootkit.com).

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSNA, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Officer
Information Systems Security
purdy () infosysec net
443.846.4231

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831