Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Avoiding Postfix Fingerprinting

From: Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfernandez () germinus com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:03:33 +0100

Joachim Schipper wrote:

> See postconf(5), under smtpd_banner. (I'm pretty sure Nessus just grabs
the banner; however, some more advanced fingerprinting is possible, if
someone is very knowledgeable.)

Actually that won't fool it probably. That NASL script does much more than grabbing the banner, it actually sends some commands and reads the answers in order to determine the software used:
http://cvsweb.nessus.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/nessus-plugins/scripts/smtpscan.nasl?content-type=text/plain

Trying to fool this probably implies making some changes in the source code to behave differently. I don't believe it's worth it, best invest the time in making sure that a compromise through postfix is not possible (proper privilege separation, current version and bugfixes, etc)

Regards

Javier