Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Connecting to different services with source port 53

From: Martin Stöfler <stoefler () ikarus at>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:10:51 +0200

Hi,

Not a problem at all;

sh#>nc -v -p 53 127.0.0.1 80

netstat:
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53  127.0.0.1:22    ESTABLISHED2917/nc

If the connection is not limited to UDP traffic (as DNS is usualy UDP,
except for zone-transfers...). But since your nmap scan went through,
chances are high that the ACL on the attacked site looks something like:

source any port:53 -> dest. internal-server port:any = allow

hth,
martin