Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: IPS comparison

From: "Jeffrey Leggett" <jleggett () interland com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:46:39 -0400

Ha... I am in the middle of testing and evaluating IPS solutions for my company, a large Web Hoster for PCI/CISP
compliance.  I had it down to 2 - McAfee's Intrushield and Tipping Point.  I have eval units with Mgt console in from
both vendors.  Both performed fairly well on the tests I have done with metasploit, and reporting.   I have eliminated
from consideration the Mcafee though based on some minor issues with it's functionality and it's major problem of it's
crappy Java console app leaking memory like a sieve.  Still beating up the Tipping Point Unity 4000 but all signs at
this point to it being my choice.

I had used the Nitro Security product in the past but was overruled by my management and peers - they hope the DOS
mitigation routines that are available in Tipping Point's product.  will be of use if/when we can ever push a full IPS
out to our edge (we're a Webhoster, so we have 12GB incoming direct Internet feeds from 6 providers - and to date
NOTHING will handle that large a firehose - nor can we afford it if it did).

Jeff Leggett