Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Port Scanning

From: DWreck <dwr3ckmailbox-pentest () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:10:37 -0800 (PST)

Interesting.

Most IPS admins do not block port scans.  The data is
fed to a SIM to keep a "low priority" eye on who may
or may not be profiling you.

Most people using IPS's have them tuned to block nachi
type protocol anomalies etc.

Interesting DOS scenario though.

--- robert () dyadsecurity com wrote:

Sugiowono(sugiowono () datacomm co id)@Wed, Dec 22,
2004 at 10:42:53AM
So how to or what is the step to pass through
those security devices ?
What is the great tools to pass through the FW and
IPS?

Let me clear up the context for this response before
all of the
traditional "Give me $50 and I'll punch you in the
face" style
penetration testers respond.  In most engagements,
we perform our
testing with as much customer interaction as
possible.

The conversation we have with our customers when it
comes to the IPS and
port scanning issues is this: While IPS's can detect
port scans and
disallow access to the IP seeming to performing the
scan, they can not
determine the difference bettween a real IP and a
spoofed IP.  When you
disallow access based on a perception of bad
behavior, you are
essentially adding rules that the attacker has
control over.

In our next version of unicornscan, for example, it
will be possible to
target a particular network range to come from.  If
you know your
customer works primarily with a particular remote
network, a simple
'unicornscan -sr:remote_range/24 customer_range/24:a
-mT -r500 -R20'
could effectively make an IPS disallow entry for
every IP in the
remote_range/24 network.  A wise man once said "When
you let bad people
write your rules for you, bad things can happen".

In the direct act of malice situation, attackers
have an unlimited
amount of time. They also have an unlimited amount
of resources (IP
addresses/machines/bandwidth) because there are
countless machines they
can compromise first, and then attack you from.  No
IPS will stop the
determined attacker from collecting available
services information over
time.

New tools also allow for custom packet payloads,
including exploit
payloads.  In these automated attacks, the attacker
will attempt to
compromise any machine that is available.  They will
not port scan you
first.  They will not check for the banner.  In this
situtation, most
IPS's will also not help you.

That said, we will go through the IDS testing
section of the OSSTMM.
This allows us to map and measure the capabilities
of the IDS.  We will
attempt to measure what triggers a block, and for
how long the block
lasts.  As soon as we are done mapping and measuring
the IDS, we ask to
be whitelisted for the duration of the test.  As I
stated before,
attackers have an unlimited amount of time and
resources.  Security
testers do not =).  Also if the IPS triggers blocks
on payloads from
spoofed hosts, it gets written up as a potential DoS
in the report.

For firewall testing, it is advisable to use a tool
on both sides of the
firewall.  One for sending a wide variety of
packets, one for catching
the packets.  Based on knowing what you sent, and
what got through, you
will will have a very accurate picture of where the
FW device is falling
short.

Robert

--
Robert E. Lee
CTO, Dyad Security, Inc.

=====
Thanks,

DWreck

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any
attachments thereto may
contain information which is privileged and
confidential, and is intended
for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above. Any
use of the
information contained herein (including, but not
limited to, total or partial
reproduction, communication or distribution in any
form) by persons
other than the designated recipient(s) is strictly
prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender either by
telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from
any computer. Thank you
for your cooperation.

=====