Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Layer 2 Security And Penetration Testing

From: odinanne <odinanne () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:27:32 -0700

If it is a large company, might it be possible to find a user with a laptop that has wireless enabled that also has a wired connection to the network. You might be able to bridge into the wired network. I would start listening in the executive suites as they often feel the rules don't apply to them and also like to have the the better toys their peers in other organizations. This organization sounds more secure than this, but one is often surprised.
shiri yacov wrote:

Greetings to all PenTesters,

I am scheduled to perform a pentest in a big company, in the near future.

However, a little intelligence gathering has revealed that the company

has enforced secure MAC on her switches (any port transmitting on other than its known MAC address is immediatltly
blocked until helpdesk releases it.

since my starting point is a "hot" port in the wall, and since I would not

give up on the first stage, I am looking for a way to get connected to

the net (using my allocated port) without activating any alarm when
connecting to the net, and furthermore, without being blocked.

My idea so far includes spoffing my MAC address, however, I still dont know to which MAC address should I switch my MAC to ? how do I know which MAC address is the legal one on a specific port ?

Bruteforce is not an option - the port is frozen after 3 unsuccessful subsequent unauthorized MACs.

Did anyone ever came accross a similar configuration ? Do you have an

idea as to how can I bypass this.

Regards,
Shiri, Security Consultant