Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: TR: Mapping Class A network ( any easy trick?)

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:05:00 +1300

Vicente Feito <vicente.feito () gmail com> writes:

I keep reading the same mistake over and over, not talking about this
particular message, but about something most admins do, they start flooding
the network with nmap and trying to do a broadcast scan, that's insane, they
do nmap -sS -p1-65535 x.x.x.x/24 or something like that, I don't mean to
critizice, but I'm my opinion, what I do if I need something like this, is
first, just find out what hosts are up, something like nmap -sP <whatever>

I believe that nmap does ping before doing the SYN scan by default, so
it won't generate thousands of SYNs for hosts which aren't up.

-P0    Do not try to ping hosts at all before scanning them.
       [snip]
       By default, Nmap sends an ICMP echo request and a TCP ACK packet to
       port 80.

--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer
This post does not necessarily represent the views of my employer.