Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: policy-based password cracker

From: David Cravshaw <david.cravshaw () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:56:21 -0600

Rainbowcrack supports customized charsets, so you can easily create
your own character set and place it in the charset.txt file.

custom = [abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789]

(It's useful to note that if you're cracking LANMAN hashes, the
charset only needs to include uppercase alpha and not lowercase due to
how LM hashes are stored...)

Cain (http://www.oxid.it) can be configured to use a customized
character set for brute-force attacks and might even be a little bit
easier to use than John the Ripper...