Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: policy-based password cracker

From: Rembrandt <rembrandt () jpberlin de>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 03:20:47 +0100

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:50:10 -0800 (PST)
Chris Costantino <clckct () yahoo com> wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking for a brute-force password cracker that
can be configured based on password policies.  For
example, I am trying to audit a system that I know the
security policy on (min/max pw length, complexity
rules, etc)  What I want is to only brute-force
passwords that fit that policy.  Obviously, min and
max is not the issue, but I can not seem to find
anything that will only test passwords that meet
complexity requirements (lowercase alpha, uppercase
alpha, number).  Something that generates this into a
rainbow table would be even better.....

Anyone aware of such a tool?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

hydra from THC...
It even provides a tool called pw-inspector to modify your wordlists.
In the TODO is an entry that bf was added in the 5.x release (not
confirmed by me).

There Bugs in Hydra but it's working..

Kind regards,
Rembrandt--
God did a bless on me,
So accapt the dark side in you.
Hate leads me to victory, so give me a war.