Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Cracking WEP and WPA keys

From: "Sahir Hidayatullah" <sahirh () mielesecurity com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 02:33:21 +0530

Sounds like you're not going about it right... If you try the attack with
aireplay or similar, you'll discover that you can hit 75,000 - 100,000 weak
IV's in about 4-6 minutes, which is about the total time you will take to
crack a 64 bit WEP key. Add another 5-6 minutes for a 128 bit key. I can't
understand why the original poster had a problem after collecting 1 million
weak IV's. I find that sometimes if I specify a keylength (-n 64 or 128),
things work better.

You certainly don't need to be the NSA, nor well financed to do this, an IBM
R51 + Netgear WG511 works just fine for me ;)

Wrt WPA, brute force/dictionary attacks are always be feasible against *any*
form of crypto, once again YMMV depending on how clueless the person who
chose the key is!

In short, your Mom checking email at home on WEP sounds like an ideal target
-- an unmonitored network with weak encryption and probably decent Internet
access.

Interestingly enough, aircrack 2.4 is out on the front page of packetstorm,
you could give it a spin and see if it makes a difference:
http://www.packetstormsecurity.org/wireless/aircrack-2.4.tgz

Regards,

Sahir Hidayatullah
Technical Consultant - Information Security
MIEL e-Security Pvt. Ltd.
C- 611 / 612, Floral Deck Plaza,
MIDC Central Road, Andheri (E),
Mumbai 400 093, India.