Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Cracking WEP and WPA keys

From: Alvin Oga <alvin.sec () mail Linux-Consulting com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 105 10:18:01 -0800 (PST)

hi yz

Shenk, Jerry A wrote:

Cracking WEP depends on a ton of stuff.

additionally..

cpu speed and memory and disk dma
        - ie. don't try it with a i386 w/ 1MB of memory :-)

you want max memory your mb will support 2GB or 8GB or 16GB
and try at least 1G or 2.4G or 3.xG cpu's
        - not sure if dual cpu will work any faster
        unless the apps are already coded for parallel
        processing

        - amd cpus will probably be faster since most
        of this is just math

in addition to data and resources, you'd need to know
which "buttons" to push and in what order

c ya
alvin

?  If you're cracking it looking
for weak IVs, you'll need an AP that has weak IVs.  Most of the new ones
avoid them to one degree or another.  What AP are you using?  I used a
Linksys in my initial testing (a couple years ago) and cracked the key
in 4 hours.  I also tried to crack a Cisco 350 (replaced by the 1200
series) and never was able to crack the key using that method, even
after running for days.

Another thing, that "crack in seconds" is based on already having hours
or days worth of traffic to use.

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831