Penetration Testing mailing list archives

AW: QualysGuard - VA/PT appliance

From: "Engelke, Stephan" <engelke () gmx net>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:03:43 +0200

Hi everyone,

we are using this appliance to conduct vunlerability assessments in LAN environments [it came with the "consultant"
package we ordered].  Essentially the appliance is a proxy for the scanners places in the Qualys datacenter. It is
controlled via the web account. All actions are triggered via the internet and all generated data is stored with the
Qualys-account which initiated the scan.

This data is stored encryptedly and is only accessiblle by the user. The username / password combination is used to
unlock the key which encrypts the data in the database. If the password is lost, noone - and this includes Qualys
personell - can gain access to the data.

What you need to run the applicance is an ip address inside the LAN, a network jack (of course) and access to the
Internet via port 443.  This port may be proxied, the appliance allows for this.

I have seen this solution deployed in large companies, including banks.  I consider myself pretty paranoid, but the
security measures I have seen as far as data protection goes, are IMHO sufficient.

Cheers - Stephan