Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: TCP/IP skills

From: <captgoodnight () acsalaska net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:40:00 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Don Parker <dparker () rigelksecurity com>
Date: Tuesday, July 6, 2004 5:20 pm
Subject: TCP/IP skills

Hello all, I just wanted to comment on what I see as a rather
alarming trend in the
security industry today. More and more many are becoming reliant
upon tools to do their
job whilst they ignore core components of their skillset.
Specifically in this case an
in-depth knowledge of TCP/IP.

Knowing TCP/IP at a granular level in my opinion is very much a
core skill that must be
attained by anyone who wishes to have a successful career in the
network security
industry today. One cannot become adept by simply using tools, and
never knowing how to
interpret the output by verifying the packets themselves.

It constantly amazes me when I teach a TCP/IP Analysis course that
people who are
presently in the industy do not know of such basic TCP/IP concepts
as the 3 way
handshake and how ICMP works. That or being able to wholly dissect
a packet and explain
the relationships between various metrics.

I would be curious to hear of your opinions on this?

I totally agree! The more I speak to other security
"professionals" the more I see that most have not a clue in regards to packet crafting/disecting/ISOOSI
model. It's kinda sad, but it seems, most are geared to the application and not the foundation of things.

 Not to start a OS war, but I must admit, my fellow linux security penguins seem to know more about the depth of
security than do my only MS friends. This kinda pushes me in the direction of thought that since linux guruship is so
deep into the kernel/coding realm, that it's simply natural for my penguin friends to dive into the deep. Where perhaps
since MS for the most part is so "USER/GUI" minded, that it's kinda a challenge to find the motivation or desire if you
will, to really dig into what our fingertips can touch. I swear I'm not trying to start a os debate, I'm just speaking
for what my eyes and ears witness. To sum it up from my perspective, *nix is for the scientist, MS,APPLE is for the
USER. Please know, I do know a few MS gurus that know a hell of alot more than me, but know, they use linux/unix too
and have been in the field since the days of blue boxs ;)

And if your a MS only security guru, who knows the deep, I bow to you; there's truly is only a few.

peace,
cg