Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: PWDUMP Parser

From: "J. Theriault" <administrator () maginetworks com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:08:27 +0200

Mike Anderson wrote:
Already did some googling on this subject to no avail,
so I thought I would start here for an answer.

I have a rather large pwdump file (over 3000 accounts)
that I am working with.  I need to extract
approximately 200 user names/hash pairs from it. Other than using notepad/word to do a find/search then
copy and paste, does anyone know of a "pwdump parser"
that is out there? I envision inputting a user name
(or list of user names) and then having it return the
user name and hash pair in a text file.

Thanks..

=====
Mike Anderson
mike_and () yahoo com

Hello, Mike;

If you have cygwin or a *NIX system available:
"grep (username) (filename)"

Or, to make it easier;
Create a file containing the following one line and put it in the same directory as a copy of the pwdump file you want to search through:

grep $1 <pwdump filename> >> output.txt

Save it, make it executable (with "chmod 700 <filename>"), and run it with the username. It will search for the line with that username and hash and add it to a new line of the output file.

(assuming it's saved as "example" and username we want is anything starting with "1")
[Administrator@belthaserv:~]
$ ./example 1
[Administrator@belthaserv:~]
$ cat output.txt