Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Open tcp port 2005 on cisco router

From: Mike Hoskins <mike () adept org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 17:48:16 -0800

Deniz CEVIK wrote:
Yes, I can connect but I couldn't recieve or send any data. I don't know the
model of cisco router but this information also gives us some hints about
the model. It should be cisco 2511. As far as I know, in order to get
terminal screen we should telnet to loopback address that has been defined
for this purpose in the router. What I wonder is can we still get terminal
screen when I connect to port 2005 of router's IP from Internet (out of the
router)?

you can connect via local loopback, or the IP address + port of the console server. (yes, over the network, which is why there needs to be ACLs protecting the NAS.) as mentioned, `telnet a.b.c.d 2005` would typically connect to port 5 on the 2511... assuming the 2511 is "properly" configured to work with the equipment it's connected to, that should just pass you through to the end device. if you can connect but don't get any data, terminal settings (between the cisco and end device) are probably just wrong or mismatched.

if you have a CCO login, see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a008014f8e7.shtml

(or just search cisco's site.)