Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Linux/Windows Authentication?

From: "MARTIN M. Bénoni" <benoni_martin () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:40:21 +0000

Hi list!

I am looking forward to know if there is a way to meet this following requirement:

We are setting up an Intranet. On it, each department will be allowed to = access a part of the server, for example HR Department will be allowed = to access just http://intranet/HR, Financial Department will just be = allowed to access to http://intranet/Finance, and so on. As they are = no-IT people, we would be looking for a transparent way to authenticate = them and to block someone from one department to access a file from = another department. User/password may be tough to set up as they will = have to remember them and we will have to check if they are not using = weak passwords. A PKI/Kerberos/... -based solution would be long to set = up as well. I was thinking about some key-based authentication, as it = can usually be done with ssh. But looking around the Internet for some = information, no way to find out some clues... Moreover, all the clients = will be Windows 2000/XP, and our Intranet runs under Linux (Redhat 9.0). = Some ideas? :-)

Authentication based on IP addressees would be the easiest solution I = have been thinking about, but remains to know if I can tell my Linux box = to allow a given bunch of IP addresses to access just a given = directory...

And of course, thanks in advance for the replies!

BĂ©noni-