Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: finding dyndns names for existing IP

From: Jimi Thompson <jimit () myrealbox com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:40:14 -0600

This should be a simple one. Set your DNS server to the DNS server that they are using and run dig or nslookup to do a reverse look up (IP to name). Once you get the name then you can do a forward lookup to get the IP. The downside that you are going to have to find out what DNS service they are using to provide name resolution.
Do they host their own web site?

Do they host anything on their own network (email, etc) that requires them to regiser a domain name/

If so, you can consult the "WHOIS" database to find out who their name service is.

Short of that, I'd try social engineering the name of the name service.

Jimi

Thomas Kerbl wrote:

Hello,

I'm searching for a way to find DynDns names to existing IPs. We are working on a pen-test for a customer, who has a dynamic IP that changes every day, and it is hard for us to keep track of their Gateway. We simulate an attacker without intern knowledge, so we cannot simple ask for a dyndns name. Social Engineering would be easy, but I'm locking for a technical way to do it. We already tried obvious names like companyname.dyndns.org and similar DNS names.

To try to summarize the problem:

1) We assume the company uses the DynDns service (or a similar service).
2) We got the actual valid IP through social engineering.
3) We want to find the dyndns name of this IP to keep track.

Is there a Database hostet by dyndns (or similar service) we can consult? Or is there a way to do a reverse lookup on the IP?

thanks a lot for any pointers,
Thomas Kerbl