Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: penetration test in a Windows 2000/NT network

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 27 May 2003 20:53:02 -0000

Razvan,

1. Get local administrator access to the workstation
(that couldn't bee
too hard now, could it? :) )

Depends.  Some simple configuration settings can make
it exceedingly difficult to do so...but then, NOT
making those settings can make it easy.

1.2. Given that you have physical access to the
computer (and a FDD),
you could try the excellent tool available at
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/.

Excellent suggestion.

5. Find a computer with a modem attached to it (look
around the office..
you're bound to see one.. ask the fellow to mail you
some document, to
get his IP.. I'd say wardial, but it could be hard to
determine the IP
from the phone number, correct me if I'm wrong..

Uh...yeah.  Not sure where you're going w/ that one.
Also, just b/c there's a modem in the computer, it
doesn't mean that it's a good candidate for wardialing.
 You see, not all modems have software listing for an
incoming call.  We have desktops modems where I work,
and the software is client-based only...it cannot act
as a server and answer an incoming call.  Oddly enough,
that's a prerequisite.

Final thoughts.. I'd leave ettercap and the sorts
towards the end.. that
sort of tools could be quite noisy, and noise is a
no-no.. on the other
hand, windows is a joy to poison (it happily
overwrites static arp
entries, except XP). Anyway, there's quite a lot of
damage to be done
given hands-on access.

I won't disagree...but "damage" doesn't seem to be the
goal here.  It seems to be more of a case of capture
the flag..."damage" will highlight the attempts, and
cause (hopefully) some kind of reaction internally.

Harlan