Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Honeypot detection and countermeasures

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:58:14 -0400

This wouldn't work.  Seeing the packets/traffic on the wire doesn't tell you
the tools that are used, and it also doesn't really give you much else.
Considering that a honeypot is either not really rootable (DTK) or is very
low hanging fruit (and very rootable, like a honeynet.org system), they
either won't see tools downloaded to the system or won't see anything more
than the bare minimum needed to exploit a system that is too vulnerable to
begin with.