Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Identify OS?

From: "Noonan, Wesley" <Wesley_Noonan () bmc com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:03:56 -0600

If it is responding to SNMP, attempt to walk the MIB. That should tell you
exactly what it is. If you have access to the segment it is on, you can
sniff the wire for the community string to use. You could also try to pull
the FTP banners from it. If it is a native windows box, it will pretty
clearly tell you so. My bet though, and it is a WAG, is some flavor of unix.
Too many *nix type ports opened, not enough MS type ports (yeah, I know, not
a very scientific approach).

Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS/Security+
Senior QA Rep.
BMC Software, Inc.
(713) 918-2412
wnoonan () bmc com