Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Features of a vulnerability scanner

From: "wirepair" <wirepair () roguemail net>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:12:51 -0800

1. Accuracy, Personally I'd rather see a lot of false postives than the scanner missing potential issues. But needless to say, they are a pain when you have a lot of them.
2. Good reporting. Although I love nessus to death some of the plugins output has a lot of broken english and or typo's.
3. Up-To-Date. Nessus does this pretty well for me.
4. Clear Fix Recommendations. Once again nessus does this well for me.
5. Quality Service Recognition. This is pretty important, for the pen-tester as well as the people being handed the final report. Knowning what service is *actually* running on port 23952 is very helpful and saves time and possible human mistake in identification.

Wishlist: Exploit link. I'd love to see a scanner drop a list of known exploits for the issue :).
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:26:38 +0100