Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Strange service on Port 5656

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 17 Apr 2003 14:08:37 -0000

Craig,

When I enter something at this prompt the
connection is closed immediately.
That response is clearly characteristic of rootkit
backdoors.

Can you elaborate?  I'm more familiar w/ Windows
systems, but given what little information has been
provided, I'm wondering what it is that you're seeing
that leads to this conclusion.

Nessus detects this service as time server, can
anyone confirm/ deny that?
I have never heard of a time daemon using this port
for anything. If the
banner it yields resembles that of a time server, it
may cause nessus to
report it as such. The fact that it does doesn't
really prove anything, as it
is also a common tactic to make a rootkit yield a
known banner in order to subvert suspicion.

This statement leads me to ask my question again...how
is it that you know, without more information, that
this system has been compromised?

I would have suggested further activities, such as
running lsof or fuser on the system, to find the
path/name of the executable image that's bound to that
port.

Thanks,

Harlan

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-pen-test