Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Strange service on Port 5656

From: "Neal K. Groothuis" <ngroot-securityfocus () lo-cal org>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 17:20:37 -0500

I suspect that Nessus detected this as "time server" because
it returned a 32-bit value and then closed the connection, which
is what standard time service does (see RFC 868 / STD 26.)
However, even if we assume that the eighth bit of each of those
bytes was zeroed by telnet to get printable characters, the
maximum value that that could be is a2acada1 (decimal 2,729,225,633,)
and the approximate number of seconds from midnight Jan 1 1900 by
my calculations is 3,256,092,000 (103.25 * 365 * 24 *60 * 60),
and that's a pretty big discrepancy.  Plus, as was already pointed
out, that's a non-standard port for timeservice.  The owners of
that box should definitely see what process is listening on that port!

                                                - neal