Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Brute force .htpasswd

From: D V <mysecurite () yahoo fr>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:52:49 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

 I have received some e-mail from people (thanks to
all of us) telling me to mangle the hashes in a
correct password file format. It is not the problem
for me. I will try to explain.

If you take a MD5 hash from a Unix/Linux box, the hash
is beginning whith $1$ (and I think by $2$ in some
case) but if you are taking a MD5 hash from a .htacess
(or .htpasswd) file using by Apache, it begins by
$apr1$. In this case, John and MD5Crack doesn't work
(I also tried to force the format with -format:MD5
with john). It tried them on W32 and Linux.
The MD5 hashes are generating with htpasswd.exe (on
W32) that is a tool provided with Apache.

For the example, I have generating a MD5 hash :
test:$apr1$K2......$0afaV4Pb0N8k1udUVBHo./
In this case the password is 'test' but I have no tool
(MD5crack and John doesn't work) that allow me to
crack this .htpasswd file.

Any help is welcome. Thank for your help

Dominique

 --- H D Moore <sflist () digitaloffense net> a écrit : >
MDCrack is one of the nicest MD5 brute forcers I
have come across. You may
need to mangle the hashes a little bit to get
mdcrack to accept them, but it
should do the trick. JTR is also very good at
cracking md5 hashes, they have
in the correct format for it to recognize them
though.

MDCrack:
http://mdcrack.multimania.com/nsindex2.html