Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: A tool for crafting ESP packets

From: Vitaly Osipov <vosipov () wolfegroup ie>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:43:33 +0000

I wonder what kind of "customized" IPSEC (ESP specifically) packets you
will be able to create other than just a packet with ESP header and
protocol number 50 - but this can be done with any general
packet-mangling tool. I guess there is nothing else to do in this case,
because you won't go inside the packet further - it is encrypted and you
(supposedly) dont know the key (otherwise all you need is a working
implementation of IPSEC protocol).

regards,
Vitaly.

Loki wrote:

Fate Research Labs has started immediate development of an auditing tool for
VPNs that allows a researcher to craft customized ESP packets to throw on the
wire. I raised a question here previously looking for anyone who was
interested in the project and received an email from someone on this list who
already had a project writeup for such a venture. That email was lost and am
trying to reestablish contact with that individual. Would that person as well
as anyone else on this list directly interested in joining in this research
project, please email me at loki () fatelabs com

Loki
Founder, Chief Research Scientist
Fate Research Labs
http://www.fatelabs.com

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/