Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: too many open udp ports

From: Yonatan Bokovza <Yonatan () xpert com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:08:14 +0300

I can't say I understood your exact network configuration,
but I remember seeing what you see.
The state of a UDP port is determined as such:
send a packet to the port. If you get back
ICMP_UDP_PORT_UNREACHABLE for that packet,
you can safely assume that port is closed. If not, consider
that port open. Sharp reasoning will lead you to conclude
that if a machine is firewalled or offline (i.e.- not answering
or not recieving your packets) it will look as if all the
UDP ports tested are open.
I'd refer you to nmap's man page, where you can learn more
about other types of scans:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=nmap&manpath=FreeBSD+Ports

Regards,
Yonatan Bokovza.