Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Penetrating Wireless Networks

From: Ichinin <ichinin () swipnet se>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:14:01 +0100

Hi again.

Phil Cox wrote:

To be perfectly clear, are you saying that you see the 802.11 traffic on the
frequency channel you are listening on (on the system running tcpdump), *or*
that tcpdump is showing you all the packets that the Access Point is sending
back to it (which is most traffic, as it is a broadcast medium). There is a
significant difference in my mind, as in the former, you see beaconing
traffic and other 802.11 stuff, while in the latter you only see the
Ethernet and IP traffic. If you do mean the former, please describe your
tool set and system configuration, because I have only seen the latter in
non-commercial tools (i.e. Linux and tcpdump)

No, i was just refering to that it is an ordinary network with it's
pro's and
cons (known plaintext(headers), traffic analysing etc). I also remember
that
FH isn't done these days, only Direct Sequence which only change
frequency if
a collission is detected.

You are kidding right?

About WEP beeing a bad design? Nope.

IIRC - Even the groop who developed it knew it had flaws; it was not
ment to
be used for long.

If not, then what perfect solution do you propose?

Anything with a properly implemented key exchange protocol.
(IPSec, SSL or whatever is better.)

Remember that in many cases (all?) the hoping information is also in packets
passing through the air, so a piece of code that could examine those packets
could be built to "follow the trail".

Are you Sure? (Do you have any doc's i could read about this?)

Anyway - i was thinking about the low number of jumping patterns,
besides,
hooking up hardware to listen in on all ~83 channels at once is not too
expensive for even a small firm or even a private person; it's just a
technological limitation (i.e. some bright person with too much
sparetime
on his/her hands).

Regards,
Glenn

[We're way of the penetration testing trail now... Apollogies to the
moderator]