Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] finding offensive material

From: Andrew Walls <Andrew.Walls () AU COFLEXIP COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:04:20 +0100

My advice is to grab a copy of everything and then burn it onto a CD.  In
your penetration report mention that you encountered potentially offensive
material that may or may not violate the company's policies regarding the
storage/transmittal of files and that you can provide the client with a copy
of these files if they so desire.

The potential policy violation is unrelated to the penetration test, so the
actual materials should not be included in the report.  If the client wants
to deal with it, they can, but they can also choose to ignore the issue.  By
retaining a CD of the material, you are able to provide a frozen record of
the material.  If you have strong feelings about this, you could have an
off-the-record conversation with someone in HR, but this could effect your
relationship with your primary client in the company, so take care.