Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Port 2001 question

From: "Block, Edward" <BLOCKED () MAIL NORTHGRUM COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 06:46:44 -0800

Port 200x on a router is primarily used to "reverse telnet."  In other
words, I have a modem plugged into the AUX port that I use to dial in to my
router from home.  If I need to configure the modem, I would console into
the router and then "telnet routerip 2001"  This would connect me to my
modem.

One thing to keep in mind, 2509 and 2511 are "terminal server" like devices
that have multiple async lines.  Therefore, I could have modems, terminals,
other routers, unix machines, etc. hanging off of the router.  Telnet to
port 2002 will connect the second async, 2003 the third, etc.

Eddie