Penetration Testing mailing list archives

buffer overflow offsets?

From: Ivan D Nestlerode <nestler () MIT EDU>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 15:42:55 -0400

Is there a general method for determining the proper
offset for buffer overflow exploits?

The context here is a pen test where I have
gleaned enough information about the target machine
to know that it is running vulnerable network services.
I found exploits for these services, but none of them
worked properly. I suspects the offsets are not correct.

How does one go about tuning these offsets (assuming
I don't know the exact architecture of the target machine
and that I don't have any account on that machine)?

Thanks in advance for any information,
Ivan

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA) Service
For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which automatically alerts you to
the latest security vulnerabilities please see:

https://alerts.securityfocus.com/