Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Expand right under Win2K

From: "Aidan O'Kelly" <okelly () XNET IE>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:58:01 -0000

I found the best way is to look around for programs that dont have their
rights properly set, for example, the admin just copied an exe while as a
user, and occasionly runs it as administrator, write a small exe that checks
what user called it, if it was an admin then do whatever u want to it and
call the original(now renamed and put somewhere else). and otherwise just
run the program as normal. Now, having said that, I've only tried it on NT 4
Win2k might be better at setting the rights and not letting IUSR_<mach>
overwrite files. But there could well be some exe lying around with write
permissions for everyone.