Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Expand right under Win2K

From: Oliver Friedrichs <of () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:13:05 -0800

To summarize this, and another message that was just posted by Nelson
[stderr () UNREAL SEKURE ORG],

This only works if you can authenticate to the host as Administrator (or
Domain Administrator), i.e. CyberCop needs to be running with these
credentials.  It also won't work if SYSKEY is running and the hashes are
encrypted.  It works like the original PWDump program by Jeremy Allison and
enumerates HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\SAM\Domains\Account\Users (after
changing permissions so it can access it).  This is saved to a file that can
then be fed into the CyberCop password cracker (which will crack both NT and
UNIX passwords btw).

SMBGrind on the other hand, is brute force password cracking that does not
use the NT API (we wrote our own CIFS code), so it can make many connections
in parallel, whereas NT is _very_ slow if you use the native API.

- Oliver