Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] List nedded

From: Ted Behling <tbehling () MONARCHIS NET>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:24:29 -0500

First of all, your English is fine, so you don't need to apologize for it.

My understanding of your question differs from the replies I've read so
far.  It sounds like you want to know what ports are open on specific
devices.  The only way to be certain is to use a port-scanning tool like
Nmap (http://www.insecure.org/nmap) to see what ports are available for a
given IP address.  Some network devices might grant a connection to only a
few "administrative" IP addresses, so you might get some false-negatives.
Also, some "devices" might actually be full-fledged computers running a
port-scan detector like Portsentry (I use it on all my external servers),
so you might get "locked out" if you run Nmap without checking the target
first.