Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: SMBRelay issues

From: "Zwan-van-der.Erwin" <Erwin.Zwan-van-der () siemens nl>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:20:49 +0100

You take two computers. Connect them both to a hub and the hub to the
switch. Run Windows NT or 2000 on one, Linux on the other. Configure the
Linux system to ARP route IP traffic to the default network segment gateway.
Use DSNIFF (actually several tools, you want to use ARPSPOOF) or Ettercap to
spoof the target system. What your are actually doing is telling the target
system that you are the default gateway. Now all traffic send from the
target to the gateway is actually send to your box. Since your box is on a
hub, the second box running Windows can sniff your personal segment. Just
pick the SMB traffic from the wire (most guys never bother enabling SMB
signing so there you go). Meanwhile your Linux box is forwarding the traffic
to the real gateway, which knows how to handle the traffic. Responses from
the real gateway will however still go directly to the target system. If you
want to get the full flow and do it properly, also spoof the gateway,
telling him that you are the target host.

Unfortunate I do not have an ARP spoofing tool from a Windows box. Anybody
out there which does have one? Make live easier when on a remote prompt of a
compromised system in another network segment :-)

Erwin