Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] Network Attack Trend Analysis

From: Max Vision <vision () WHITEHATS COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:56:54 -0700

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, H Carvey wrote:
http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/defacements-
graphs.html#HIST
What does the Y-axis represent?  Fraction of what?
And the X-axis is labeled "Defacements per day,
simple"...what constitutes a "simple" defacement?

It is clearly a bell-curve graph, so that when added, all "groups" of data
will total 1.  "Simple" is most likely a label for the type of graph, not
an adjective describing the defacements.

This one:
http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/graphs/bar_osto
tals.gif
is entitled "OS totals by month"...but what do the
various colors on the bars indicate?

It is clearly labeled:
Yellow: NT, White: Linux, Orange: BSD, Green: Solaris, Purple: All Other

I guess the point is this...if you have nothing better to
do and want to waste someone's time...sure, show
these graphs to your boss.  They are meaningless,
though colorful and probably quite enjoyable to look at
when printed on a color printer.

I think you should slow down and try a little harder to see the meaning in
these folks data before discounting them as meaningless.

Also, I think it's pretty obvious that defacement archives encourage
further activity, but at the same time I think the archives provide a
valuable asset to the community.

Max